BalticMuseums team members from the Museum of the World Ocean visited the Maritime Museum (Schiffbau- und Schifffahrtsmuseum) in Rostock during the latest project meeting in February 2013. Dr. Peter Danker-Carstensen, its’ director, made a brilliant guided-tour and acknowledged his visitors with the splendid collection and the museum exposition. The museum itself is located aboard the dry-cargo named “Traditionsschiff TYP FRIEDEN”, earlier “Dresden”.
“Over a dozen ships of this type were built and the Dresden was one of them”, proudly says Mr Danker- Carstensen and continues on the ship and shipbuilding history in Rostock, about achievements and records of East German shipbuilders. Since 1931 the shipyard Neptun had constructed boats for export. The USSR was the main customer, over several hundreds of different ships were built for its needs. Construction of loggers and trawler-loggers by reparation order for the Soviet Union was a significant event for Neptun shipyard in the after-war time. The boats were built in accordance with new techniques – ships’ hulls were welded but not riveted as before. In 1949-1952, 179 fishing boats were built for the USSR, including the Kaliningrad SRT-129, exhibited at the Museum of the World Ocean. The SRT boats played an outstanding role in fishing. In the 1950s they sailed to the Atlantic Ocean for fishing and searched for new fishing areas. Thanks to them Kaliningrad provided 11% of catch of the whole country. But life of these boats was short, they were built for fast recoupment and when a ship was worn out it was just written off to scrap metal. But the SRT-129 luckily had got different fortune. After short period of work it was passed to the Navy, and then in 1996 – to Kaliningrad fishing port. After some time, in 2009, it got a new museum life and joined the Museum of the World Ocean.